Thursday, January 27, 2011

Momma Student

There are certain instances during the day that remind me I'm not in high school anymore. It could be anything from having to hurdle barf as I walk through the bathroom door to pledging frat dudes forced to wear hawaiian shirts on Fridays (suckers). However, nothing tops the notion that one of your classmates could already be parents, as is the case in my psych class. For our first class, we played "Get to know You"  with everyone. Turns out one of the the students is married (thankgoodness) and has a three year-old rugrat. Ah! That explains it then. 
 Now I don't know exactly what happens when regular woman enjoying college turns into 'mature acting' momma student, but there's a clear difference. As opposed to the other students in the class who wear whatever chill and hip clothes they can find, momma student is suddenly dressing like she's 40. She dons the classic light blue jeans (no holes) and sneakers look. Nope, no Toms or Sperry's for this lady. Sneaks are back in. Along with the new style comes a fresh new vocab. Offhand, momma student begins to inform me about the latest happenings of Elmo on Seasame Street, and how she can't wait for the next episode. I was tempted to pull the binkie out of her mouth, but I decided to let it slide. Momma student also sees the need to chime in and agree with whatever the prof is saying. After 1 hour and 20 mins of head bobbing in agreement and saying "Mmmhmmm," I wanted to........well let's just say it annoyed me. 
           Kudos to mom though for staying in school because without people like her, class will never be the same


Stephen          

No comments:

Post a Comment